Friday, April 11, 2008

They're Here & They're Identical!!!

Well as most of you already know, Marcus and Maddox decided to make their grand entrance VERY early - at 31 weeks early.

Wanted to post their birth story.

Wednesday, April 2 at 31 weeks and 1 day, started out as a normal day. DH and I had an appointment to meet with a pediatrician (thank God we did that) that morning. We went to breakfast and then to Wal Mart. I had some really sharp pains on my right side where Baby A was. Enough that I had to sit down. DH said "Please do not have our babies at Wal Mart!" (That would have made for a fun birth story) The pains went away and I went about the rest of my day as normal.

Tried to get some cleaning done because I had family staying at my house that weekend (my baby shower that I missed). I then went to my parents for dinner. I got through my dinner stould up and felt a bubble of fluid. Then everytime I moved I would feel a slight gush. The avon lady was there blabbing with my mom so being the patient person I am, I waited for her to leave (felt like an eternity). Finally she left and I told my mom I thought my water broke and I lost it crying that it wasn't time and that it was way to early for my boys to join this world.

I called Steve and the doc informed me to go to L & D. Steve was at work so he met me at L&D. They brought me in SO quickly, and tested to see if my water broke and it did, bit I was not dilated at all. They made the decision then to transport me to another hospital with the best NICU and who is also more well prepared for this sort of situation. My first ride in an ambulence was fun - I kept telling them it was my first time and the least they could do was make it a fun one!!! Ok, so in my new room in a new hospital, I was still not dilated, so the plan was to monitor me through the night, give me antibiotics and the steriods for their lungs and hope they could keep the babies in until 48 hours later or even until they were 35 weeks.

Well, during the night the contractions really started and I developed an infection so they decided to not stop anything. I woke up around 6 and just couldn't stand the pain anymore. I got checked and was 7cm's. I of course immediately asked for my epidural which is WONDERFUL and I tell all of you who are preggo to GO FOR IT!!! I got to rest for a bit and around 10:30am I was fully dilated. I got to push 3 times and they moved me to the OR just in case they had to do an emergency C (which they didn't have to do). Marcus Patrick was born at 11:44am, and Maddox Michael came 4 minutes later at 11:48am. I only got to see them for a minute and they were wisked away.

There were so many people in there and a NICU team for each baby. I finally got to see my boys at 6:00 that night. It was scary but they are so beautiful. They will be in the NICU for several weeks but it is where they belong. There are babies in there MUCH smaller than my boys. I have faith in God and the wonderful NICU docs and nurses and will take each day one day at a time.

I still am in awe that I have my boys! It was such an easy going pregnancy that I thought they would have to force those boys to come out. What a shock of a lifetime! I was released on Saturday. Leaving the hospital and leaving Marcus and Maddox was by far one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life.

So that is my story. Sorry I haven't been able to update. I have practically been living at the hospital so I don't have much time to do anything. I will post a few pics to hold you over, and hopefully I can update soon.

I should at least let you know that they are both doing so well for being 1 week old. They are each eating via feeding tube and that increases each day. They hope to have us try bottle feeding today. They are both gaining weight well now that they are eating too. Both are on oxygen but at low flow (much better than seeing them on breathing machine).

Thanks to ALL of you for your love and support both during this pregnancy and now. I don't know what I would do without the support from Steve who has been so wonderful through all of this. I think this is effecting him more than me, but he is staying strong for me. He is a great daddy and adores his boys like you wouldn't believe!

Maddox says Hello!
Photobucket

Marcus & Mommy
Photobucket

Maddox & Daddy
Photobucket

Marcus all Snuggly
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! So glad to hear that everything is going well. The boys are beautiful! Cant wait to see them in person.. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails